Has your hair been feeling rough, super dry these days? You know, more brittle, less shiny— generally dehydrated, lackluster and kind of… blah.
There could be a plethora of reasons, little mistakes and bad habits we make with our hair which we are not even aware of. Chemical-based hair products, stress and pollution take a severe toll on our hair and make our beautiful locks appear rough, dry and frizzy. Fortunately, there are amazing ways to fix these issues and get your hair back to its shinier self again.
So, before we start, lets have a look at the most frequently asked question, which might be your query too – How can I make my hair soft and silky at home and how can I care my hair at home? Well, you definitely don’t need to buy expensive hair care products or invest heavily on the solon services; just grab a few basic ingredients from your kitchen and you are all set to flaunt gorgeously smooth, silky and dandruff free hair. We’ve rounded up the best of the best hair care home remedies for you, here.
So, without further ado, here is a list of the most common hair-care concerns, the frequently asked hair care queries why your hair is dry, not growing and what to do about them?
- CONCERN – DRY HAIR
How can I add life to my hair and What is a proper hair care routine?
FIX- Lock in shine! Anything from humidity to hot water to friction can ruffle up the cuticles-outermost layer of your hair, resulting in a lackluster, extremely dry hair. Go for an intensive overnight treatment to add life to your hair.
SOLUTION– Oil Massage for Dry, Lifeless Hair.
Oils are rich minerals, vitamins and carbohydrates that are great for adding moisture to hair. The oil massage enhances blood circulation to the scalp and the proteins included help with the nourishment of hair.
Which oil is best for silky hair and How do I apply oil to my hair?
There are a lot of commercial hair oils which claim to boost hair growth and make your hair thick, shiny and soft, but not all work! Here is a list of all the amazing oils which can do wonder to your hair. So, if you want to know which oil grows hair fast, read on!
- Coconut Oi for Hair: People use this magical oil in different ways, from cleaning and cooking to removing makeup and moisturizing the skin & hair. Coconut oil is considered as the best oil to lessen protein loss and keep your hair look shiny. To apply it- take 2 spoons of coconut oil and warm it before you massage into damp hair. Lay a towel on your pillow and wear a shower cap for avoiding a greasy mess. Shampoo it out in the morning
- Olive Oil for Hair: Olive oil is not only healthy for cooking, but it is best for your hair. It is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids and includes amazing moisturizing properties. This promotes hair growth and also prevents dandruff. Just take a few drops of olive oil and massage into your scalp and hair roots. Leave it on for overnight or a few hours. Wash your hair with any mild shampoo.
- Caster Oil for Hair: Castor oil has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties which are beneficial to promote healthy hair. It includes fatty acids and vitamin E that prevent scalp infections, dandruff and add shine to your hair. To apply- simply heat up 2 table spoons castor oil in microwave. Apply and Massage to scalp and hair. After massage, cover your head with a warm moist towel and leave on for at least 2 hours. Rinse off with good and mild shampoo.
- Almond Oil for Hair: Using almond oil to treat hair can make it less prone to dryness and breakage. Nut oils like almond oil include lubricating properties which improve the shine and add strength to your hair.
- CONCERN – HAIR GROWTH
How can I make my hair grow faster and thicker home remedies?
FIX: Whether a person is trying to encourage more hair growth or prevent hair fall, knowing what is the secret of hair growth and some DIY hair care tips and can help them achieve their goal. But before we unlock the secret, you should know what actually grows hair?
Our hair is made up of a protein known as keratin, which is produced in hair follicles. When the follicles start producing new cells, the old hair cells are being pushed out. The hair that falls out is a string of dead keratin cells. On an average, an adult has about 100,000 to 150,000 hair strands and 100 of those strands can be lost in a day. For all those who are experiencing huge hair loss, there can be a number of causes, ranging from work stress, hormonal imbalance, prescribed medication and most importantly, the diet you follow.
How can I make my hair healthy again?
Going natural can the perfect way for hair problems, since its results are long lasting and it doesn’t include any side effects. Fortunately, our grandmothers left us with many trusted ingredients which are easily available in our kitchen and can fight scalp infections, dandruff and hair fall, making our hair healthier and shinier again.
Here are those magical ingredients:
A. Onion Juice for Hair Growth: This is considered as one of oldest and most powerful remedies. Onion contains sulphur which enhances production of collagen in the tissues and promotes hair growth. Don’t let its strong annoying smell keep you away from applying it because it will go off just after one rinse.
How to apply Onion Juice to your hair?
Cut a few slices of onion and get the juice out of it either by grating it or mashing it. Apply the juice on the scalp and leave it for about 30 minutes. Rinse it off with a sulphate-free shampoo.
B. Rose Water for Hair Growth: Applying rose water topically can offer amazing benefits for the scalp and hair. As a mild astringent, rose water can prevent the excessive production of oil on the scalp, which can further lead to dandruff, eczema and psoriasis on scalp. In addition, rose water includes vitamins E, B3, C, and A, which avoid inflammation.
How can I use rose water on my hair?
Rose water can be applied directly to the scalp or can be mixed with shampoo/conditioner to obtain its wonderful benefits. And while there are numerous rose water hair care products available in the market, you can also make rose water at home. Just steep some organic rose petals in the distilled, boiled water. It’s recommended not to use rose water more than one to two times a week, as over use can lead to PH imbalance of the scalp, thereby making the benefits counterproductive.
C. Rice Water for Hair growth: Rice is a versatile and delicious food, but do you know rice water can benefit your hair too? For hair care, rice water has become a viral beauty hack which seemingly offers luscious, long, silky hair just after few applications. All thanks to its nutrient-rich ingredients!
How does rice water grow hair and what are its benefits?
- Makes hair stronger: The protein included in the rice water is believed to improve the overall condition of hair.
- Adds more shine- The starchy solution helps to add luster to dull, dry hair.
- Hair growth- It promotes hair growth as it is rich in vitamins C, B, and E and amino acids that support hair regeneration
- Smooths hair: Damaged or color treated hair faces difficulty in retaining the moisture, which further leads to split ends and frizz. The nourishing proteins available in rice water may counteract this, preventing hair fall and therefore, enhancing the texture.
How to use rice water to grow hair?
Here’s the easy rice water recipe and you can easily prepare it on the day you are planning to make rice.
- 1 cup of raw rice
- 3–4 cups of water
- Any kind of moisturizing or glycerine-based product (like a hair mask or conditioner)
- Wash the rice properly to remove any dirt or debris.
- Place the washed rice in any airtight jar.
- Add water.
- You can either use it directly on scalp or add a moisturizing product, like a conditioner or any mask.
- Close the container and leave it at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Strain the water into any container or spray bottle.
- Apply the mixture to your hair.
- 1 cup of raw rice
- 3–4 cups of water
- 1 tbsp carrier oil
- A few drops of hair-safe essential oils
- Cook the rice on the stove or in a rice cooker.
- When cooked, strain the rice.
- Let the water cool.
- Add a few drops of essential oils mixed in with any carrier oil.
- Rinse your hair with the solution.
3. CONCERN – DIET AFFECTS HAIR
A healthy diet can help your hair stay lustrous and strong. What you eat can keep your hair from falling out. If your body is not getting some vital nutrients from food, you will definitely see the impact on your hair.
Which fruit is best for hair?
Consuming a balanced which that is loaded with all the essential minerals and vitamins can promote hair growth, especially when you are experiencing hair loss because of poor nutrition. There are several fruits and vegetables best for hair growth which not a lot people are aware of. Fruits are an excellent source of vitamins and fibre; both are essential to promote healthy hair. Here is a list of some great fruits which you can introduce in your diet or use them topically to experience drastic change in the quality of your hair.
Which food is good for hair?
Minerals and Vitamins from food play an integral role in the growth of hair follicle cycle. Deficiency of the right nutrients, such as vitamins E, C, D, and A, biotin, iron, protein, zinc, and vital fatty acids can reduce hair growth or even lead to hair loss. If you’re lacking any of these essential nutrients, try to add some of the below-mentioned foods to your diet.
- Fatty Fish
- Sweet Potatoes
The sooner you address the issues related to hair fall, the more likely you can prevent the damage. Working on your diet and following some easy DIY home remedies for healthy hair are important, but if you’re worried about any nutritional deficiency or still experience great hair fall, don’t wait to seek medical help.